Friday, March 3, 2017

Recruiting Jedi

You know, it's funny. I literally just posted this exact information (obviously not written the same way) at IJRS under a thread titled "Jedi Recruiting". It's strange how things work together like that. The Force works in mysterious ways, my friends. So here is my original post entitled "Grassroots Networking"

So tonight I wanna talk a little about networking and organization. I'm watching a video on the subject made by a survival expert and I started thinking about developing Jedi networks. However, this skill doesn't come in handy only for Jedi use. It can be used for survival preparation, and I use it almost daily when gathering information from the "grapevine" (I wish to become a member of the intelligence community later in life). The principles I discuss here can be used whenever a community of trust needs to be developed.
So first of all, I'll lay out the 4-step procedure taught by the CIA.
1. Spot.  This first phase is simply looking for people who may be interested in the Jedi (or may already be Jedi). Self-defense schools, gyms, New Age bookstores, these people may be anywhere. This phase is solely in finding people whom you may want to get to know. Remember in the first step not to "judge a book by its cover," you never know who might be a good candidate. For example, I have several offline friends who used to be Army Special Forces whom I never would have guessed their past occupations.
2. Assess.  After you've found someone who seems like a good choice, start finding out if they actually would make a good Jedi. Asses their character, their reliability, and if they are trustworthy. An important consideration is, would they be interested in being a Jedi? Oftentimes people don't think about this. If they likely wouldn't like being a Jedi, best not to approach them. Again, remember that you can't judge a book by its cover, but you could hopefully get a pretty good reading on them. If they're not likely to be interested in the Jedi, but they would make a great Jedi, and you go ahead and tell them about the Jedi and what we do, things could get awkward between you both.
3. Develop.  Begin building a relationship. Were I teaching how to create an intelligence network, I would say you should make up common ground if you can't find any, but that's not a viable option as a Jedi. Find common interests, take part in common activities, etc. Get to know the person, and become their friend. Build trust. You need to show genuine interest in all aspects of their life, such as family and personal problems, not just the skill sets they posses. Lastly, begin dropping "hints" into conversation. Approach "Jedi topics" when talking (making sure to do so subtly), gauge interest, etc.
4. Recruit.  If you've reached this step with the subject, congratulations. Now come out and explain to them what the Jedi are. Ask them if they're interested. But don't be pushy. If they shut you down, drop it. Remember that you can always try again later, but by this point you should be able to be able to read the person and determine if you can try the issue any farther. At this point, if they say no, you shouldn't have any social repercussions to fear as you should be able to trust the person, and look on the bright side: you've made a close friend!
To tie this all together, let me answer the question some of you (and even myself, a bit) are probably asking. Why did I just take up a page of text teaching Jedi how to create a circle of trust? For multiple reasons. First of all, this can be used for many aspects of life, not just being a Jedi.
For the time being, at least, the Jedi Order is not an accepted group. Being a Jedi is something of a social faux pas. Most of us don't choose to run around proclaiming to the world "I'm a Jedi!!!" For now, we need to be careful of whom we tell that to. It could lead to, more our less, our social downfall.
Another benefit of this trust-circle based approach is just that. You'll have a trust circle. I would prefer to be able to pick and choose the Jedi that I know, the people I bring into the Order. And if there's ever an emergency situation, I would much rather be able to work with people I know, trust and have trained with for such incidences.
The last is possibly the most important reason of them all. This is one possibility for taking our Order into the Real World. Small, centralized Jedi "cells," if you will. Each "cell" will eventually combine with another "cell," building a network of Jedi. These networks will develop into their own Orders or geographical divisions of an Order. Once offline, they can begin working on important elements such as funding and a somewhat formalized curricula.
I'll probably talk about it at some point, but learn psychology. Learn to read people, find out what they're thinking, etc. I promise, you will benefit from that knowledge in all facets of your everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment